Cumberland Lodge breaks down institutional barriers which inevitably exist at universitiy. It operates much like a collegiate hall, except that tutors and lecturers are also in residence. Living alongside each other leads to more personal insights into your subject than you could possibly hope to get from a lecture or a tutorial.
Whilst here you participate in an intense academic series of lectures & discussions, but often from a broader perspective than during your formal courses. For example, lawyers could talk about prisoners' rights or historians about riots, or physicists about the tension between science and religion.
But - equally important - you also get free time to get some fresh country air and to bond informally as a department. With 'student satifaction' increasingly in demand at university, we find that residential visits to Cumberland Lodge are a treasured part of the student experience.
It is our charitable mission to heavily subsidise your visits here, so you have no excuse not to come. If you are having difficulty in raising the money to pay even the subsidised rate, speak to your tutors about the possibility of getting a full bursary.
Did you know...?
Cumberland Lodge is an educational charity which heavily subsidises all student visits.
There is a bursary scheme for disadvantaged students which allows us to waive the fees for a one or two visitors per group.
- Over 4,000 university students come here every year.
- Over a dozen universities come here.
- Every possible academic discipline is represented in the course of a year.
- We entice students to come to our high-profile in-house conferences by offering huge subsidies.
- We have a vested interest in education, culture, society and ethics in the UK. To find out what we think of recent developments in these areas, follow us via: