Cumberland Lodge is a registered charity that empowers social progress through dialogue and debate. We have been challenging silo thinking and providing an inclusive environment for candid discussions on complex social and ethical issues since 1947, from our base in Windsor Great Park.
We equip and inspire people from every background, generation and perspective to learn from one another and engage in constructive dialogue and debate on the causes and effects of social divisions.
- Inspiring and connecting leaders and influencers, through conferences, lectures, seminars and a Visiting Fellowship scheme
- Supporting and equipping students and young people, through scholarships, bursaries, seminars, mentoring schemes, study retreats and workshops
- Bringing both groups together to exchange views and learn from one another.
Our goal is to help build more peaceful, open and inclusive societies.
Our founder, Amy Buller, author of Darkness over Germany, envisioned a place where people would 'examine the fundamental assumptions' behind important societal issues, and that remains at the heart of what we do.
To encourage open debate and free speaking, many of our events are held under the Chatham House Rule.
Our facilities are available to hire for residential and non-residential conferences, meetings and special events, income from which supports our core, not-for-profit activities. Find out more about hiring our grounds and facilities here.
Inspiring and connecting
Cumberland Lodge breaks down boundaries to inclusive dialogue. We inspire leaders, influencers and future leaders to think critically and to engage with the causes of social divisions through:
- Cumberland Lodge Lecture - our flagship annual lecture on a social or ethical topic of national importance
- Cumberland Conferences - an annual programme of inter-disciplinary, residential conferences delivered in a round-table format
- Cumberland Consultations - small group seminars over dinner at the Lodge, to engage with policymakers and influencers
- Westminster Seminars - taking learning and recommendations from our Cumberland Conferences directly to policymakers and influencers in London
- Visiting Fellowships - involving leaders and people of influence in our work as ambassadors and advisors.
Find out about our forthcoming conferences and events here.