Cumberland Lodge has been challenging silo thinking and providing an inclusive environment for candid discussions on complex social and ethical issues, since 1947.
We specialise in equipping and inspiring people to learn from one another and engage in constructive dialogue on the causes and effects of social divisions, including leaders and influencers, students and practitioners. This includes:
- Inspiring and connecting leaders and influencers, through conferences, lectures, seminars and a Visiting Fellowship scheme
- Supporting and equipping students and young people, through scholarships, bursaries, seminars, mentoring schemes, study retreats and workshops
- Bringing both groups together to exchange views and learn from one another.
We are a registered charity with the vision of more peaceful, open and inclusive societies.
Our founder, Amy Buller, envisioned a place where people would “examine the fundamental assumptions” behind important societal issues, and that remains at the heart of what we do. To encourage open debate and free speaking, many of our events are held under the Chatham House Rule.
Our facilities are available to hire for residential and non-residential conferences, meetings and special events, which helps to support our educational activities. Find out more about venue hire here.
Inspiring and connecting leaders and influencers
Cumberland Lodge breaks down boundaries to inclusive dialogue by bringing together leaders and influencers with different backgrounds and perspectives. We inspire leaders, influencers and future leaders to think critically and to engage with the causes of social divisions, through:
- Cumberland Lodge Lecture - our flagship annual lecture on a social or ethical topic of national importance
- Cumberland Conferences - an annual programme of inter-disciplinary, residential conferences delivered in a round-table format
- Cumberland Seminars - small group seminars over dinner at the Lodge, to engage with policymakers and influencers
- London Seminars - taking learning and recommendations from our Cumberland Conferences directly to policymakers and influencers in London
- Visiting Fellowship programme to involve people of influence in our work, as ambassadors and advisors.
By bringing together opinion formers and influencers, parliamentarians and civil servants, senior academics, professionals, think tanks, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), community leaders and business leaders, we are proactively addressing some of the most pressing issues facing society today.
Find out about our forthcoming conferences and events here.