Cumberland Lodge has been creating a safe space for constructive dialogue on the most pressing policing and criminal justice matters, since 1981.
Guided by our Police Steering Committee of police leaders and serving police officers we run a renowned Police Conference each year. It brings together a multi-agency delegation of senior police officers, NGO leaders, lawyers, academics and senior civil servants, to tackle a key issue at the forefront of the police agenda.
Our involvement in this arena goes back to the earliest days of the foundation, with meetings on policing matters having taken place here since the 1950s.
During the long history of the annual conference we have dealt with topics ranging from surveillance to drug abuse, multiculturalism, and relationships with the media.
Our guest speakers have included Government representatives, senior policymakers and All-Party Parliamentary Group chairs, prominent senior serving officers, NGO leaders, Police and Crime Commissioners, academics, MPs and cabinet ministers.
Our current Police Steering Committee members are:
- Chief Constable Robert Beckley QPM - Lead on 'Operation Resolve' (Hillsborough investigation)
- Detective Chief Inspector Paula Bickerdike - West Yorkshire Police
- Chief Superintendent Chris Bourlet - Metropolitan Police (currently on secondment to the Home Office)
- Chief Constable Mike Cunningham, CEO, College of Policing
- Jane Furniss CBE - Non-Executive Board Member, National Crime Agency
- David Lloyd - Police and Crime Commissioner, Hertfordshire
- Dr Rick Muir - Director, Police Foundation
- Lynne Owens CBE QPM - Director General, National Crime Agency
- Chief Constable Sara Thornton CBE QPM (Chair) - Chairman, National Police Chiefs Council.
A library of recent educational outputs from our annual Police Conference and follow-up seminars can be found here.