Guided by our Police Steering Committee of police leaders and serving police officers we run a renowned Police Conference each year. It brings together a multi-agency delegation of senior police officers, NGO leaders, lawyers, academics and senior civil servants, to tackle a key issue at the forefront of the police agenda.
Our involvement in this arena goes back to the earliest days of the foundation, with meetings on policing matters having taken place here since the 1950s.
During the long history of the annual conference we have dealt with topics ranging from surveillance to drug abuse, multiculturalism, and relationships with the media.
Our guest speakers have included Government representatives, senior policymakers and All-Party Parliamentary Group chairs, prominent senior serving officers, NGO leaders, Police and Crime Commissioners, academics, MPs and cabinet ministers.
We commission a freelance research associate to support each conference with independent research to fully brief participants. Key findings and recommendations that emerge from the conference discussions are then further reviewed and refined at a consultation involving a small but diverse spectrum of conference representatives and further specialists, before being published in a final report.
Our current Police Steering Committee members are:
- Chief Constable Robert Beckley QPM - Lead on 'Operation Resolve' (Hillsborough investigation)
- Detective Chief Inspector Paula Bickerdike - West Yorkshire Police
- Chief Superintendent Chris Bourlet - Metropolitan Police (currently on secondment to the Home Office)
- Chief Constable Mike Cunningham, CEO, College of Policing
- Jane Furniss CBE - Non-Executive Board Member, National Crime Agency
- PCC David Lloyd - Police and Crime Commissioner, Hertfordshire
- Dr Rick Muir - Director, Police Foundation
- Chief Constable Olivia Pinkney QPM - NPCC lead for Policing Children and Young People
- Chief Constable Sara Thornton CBE QPM (Chair) - Chairman, National Police Chiefs Council.
A library of conference briefings, reports, and digital resources such as podcasts, presentation slides, and blogs from our annual Police Conference and Consultations can be found here.