** Please note that, in light of Berkshire and surrounding counties moving into Tier 3 restrictions before Christmas, we have taken the decision to postpone our New Year retreat. Alternative dates will be announced in due course. **
In 2021, we are welcoming in the New Year with the seventh of our annual Shakespeare study retreats. This year, we explore Othello and look at what we can learn from it to inform the way we live today.
This sell-out event follows on from successful retreats on The Merchant of Venice in 2020, Macbeth in 2019 and A Midsummer Night’s Dream in 2018.
Discussions taking place at the 2019 Macbeth retreat.
This year we are joined again by a distinguished group of retreat leaders and contributors, including:
- Reverend Dr Paul Edmondson - Head of Research, Shakespeare Birthplace Trust
- Andrew French - Actor, Royal Shakespeare Company
- Professor Daniel Grimley - Professor of Music, University of Oxford
- Professor Sir Stanley Wells CBE FRSL - Former Life Trustee (1975-2017) and former Chairman of the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust (1991-2011); Emeritus Professor of Shakespeare Studies of the University of Birmingham; Honorary Emeritus Governor of the Royal Shakespeare Company
- Professor Tiffany Stern FBA - Professor and Chair of Shakespeare and Early Modern Literature at The Shakespeare Institute, University of Birmingham
- Dr Amanda Piesse - Formerly Lecturer in English Literature and Children's Literature, Trinity College Dublin
- Dr Rowan Williams PC FBA FRSL FLSW – Former Archbishop of Canterbury (2002 to 2012)
Participants will explore the spiritual, psychological and literary aspects of the play and learn about the role of music in Shakespearean productions, past and present, whilst enjoying the hospitality of a three-night stay at the Lodge.
The programme includes a series of reflections from our retreat leaders, film screenings, breakout study groups, evening readings, a guided walk through Windsor Great Park and panel discussions.
New dates for this retreat will be announced shortly. Places have already sold out, however we warmly welcome all registrations of interest in attending and we will add you to our waiting list.
For further information about the event, contact Emily Gow, Programme Officer, on 01784 497781 or by emailing email@example.com.